Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Twitter is Taking Over Sports

Too Much Social Media!


The Nebraska Cornhuskers have #HUSKERS painted on their field, ESPN cannot go longer than 5 seconds without mentioning Twitter, and fans are obsessed with reading every insignificant tweet by their favorite players. Why is this happening?! What is so great about Twitter?!

What happened to the days when fans would go to a stadium and actually watch the game. Nowadays, half the crowd is on their iPhone checking Twitter or Facebook, and the other half is talking about what they saw on Twitter earlier that day. To be perfectly honest it disgusts me.

I do not understand the "Twitter helps fans connect with the players argument." I believe it is the least justified and supported statement I have ever heard. (I am in the library and just heard some girl ask her friend "Do you have Twitter?" Unfortunately she does and they won't stop talking about it. *SMH*.) Anyway fans are not "connected" to players through Twitter. Players/teams/actors/musicians/celebrities use Twitter for P.R. Also, be realistic, do you think Ben Roethlisberger truly cares about me because I follow him on Twitter? Am I closer to being friends with Sidney Crosby because I saw on his Twitter that we both play PS3? Would I increase my status as a Pirate fan because I retweet everything Andrew McCutchen posts? Has my life improved in any way, shape, or form because I saw the picture Derek Jeter put on his Twitter? Should I just not care that I am wasting valuable time by reading every tweet by every athlete I kind of maybe heard of?

Sports is supposed to be about toughness, hard work, dedication, perseverance, overcoming adversity, team chemistry, winning, and the love of the game. These concepts are taking a back seat these days, partially due to too much media. (But mainly due to too much money being involved). #theworldwasbetterwithouttwitter

No comments:

Post a Comment